Importing Data into 4.5 from Prior Releases

Questions directed to our Support Team. Responses can be expected within 24 hours.

Importing Data into 4.5 from Prior Releases

Postby Overload » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:47 pm

Version 4.5 is a new installation, and does not automatically upgrade prior StrataSearch installations. However, you can import data from prior releases by following these steps:

1) Install and run StrataSearch version 4.5. Enter the Setups > System Settings menu and check the Launch Data Folder Selection at Startup box.

2) Restart StrataSearch Version 4.5 to display the Select StrataSearch Data Folder window.

3) Click the New... button, and enter a name for your new Data Folder. Select Copy Installation Data From Alternate Source, and click the Browse button to location your prior StrataSearch installation. Normally this is located at:

c:\Program Files\StrataSearch Version 4.0\

4) Click OK to complete the import and be returned to the StrataSearch Data Folder Selection window.

5) Double-click on the new Data Folder to launch StrataSearch using that Data Folder.

6) If you are using only one Data Folder, you can relaunch StrataSearch to return to the StrataSearch Data Folder Selection window. Highlight the Data Folder you wish to use, and then click the Set Default button. After entering StrataSearch, you can then enter the Setups > System Settings menu and uncheck the Launch Data Folder Selection at Startup box.

Using this import method, users can keep both installations of StrataSearch installed and running separately, and convert to the latest StrataSearch version permanently only after confirming everything is working properly.
Overload

Re: Importing Data into 4.5 from Prior Releases

Postby ovtrading » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:20 pm

Interestingly, this didn't work for me on Windows 7 x64. It raised a permission error while trying to access the 4.0\system\usr.dbf file and then hung after that.

After opening that file in a text editor, it seems to be the database holding the custom formula setups. I have a bunch of custom formulas in a DLL, and the DLL didn't appear to be copied over, so I tried that manually. Still didn't work.

I then did a few variations on setting permissions in my old installation and finally got it to work on the third or fourth try. So if anyone else runs into this for the time being, the workaround was:

Code: Select all
C:\Program Files (x86)\StrataSearch Version 4.0\system>cacls * /E /G [your user name]:F

which will grant your user full control to all files in that directory. I say interestingly, because, logically, this makes no sense -- my user is a member of the Administrators group, which already had full control permissions on all of those files. But I don't claim to understand the full details of how the post-Vista UAC stuff works either.

Since then, so far, so good, all of my formulas/charts/etc seem to have come over properly.
ovtrading

Postby Overload » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:41 pm

That is indeed interesting for numerous reasons. I'd done significant testing on 64-bit Windows 7 and never encountered this problem, and it's odd that changing the permissions on your old installation (rather than the new) would have made a difference. But the UAC stuff has been very confusing and problematic for quite a few users, so I'm not too surprised by the odd scenario.

For others that may encounter this, I would also recommend trying a reboot before a second attempt. It may be the case that certain files have a lock on them that may be released after a reboot.

In any case, glad to hear you got it figured out. Thanks for the info.

Pete
Overload

Postby ovtrading » Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:24 am

Yeah, I think you may be right that it is actually unrelated to what I did and may just be a leftover lock or something that happened to be released by the time I got to that point. It just doesn't make sense. So take the above with a grain of salt.
ovtrading

Return to Technical Support