Margin


Margin

Identifies the margin setting for the Product. 


The margin for futures products identifies how much cash is needed to open a single contract with your broker.  During back testing, StrataSearch reserves this cash as long as the position is held, and therefore keeps the portfolio from taking on more positions than can be sustained without a margin call.  While futures margin requirements are often standard across brokers, this value can be adjusted to a higher or lower level to accomodate each trader's requirements and comfort.  The margin setting for futures is set in the Futures Product Setup


The margin for forex products identifies how large a percentage must be paid for each forex trade.  For example, if you must put 5% up front for a forex trade while the broker puts up the other 95%, this would create a margin of 5%.  Margin can also be determined by dividing 100 by the leverage.  For example, if the leverage is 20, the margin would be 100/20, or 5%.  The default margin for forex is set on the Trade Amounts tab of the Trade Settings, with an override available on the Symbol Setup


The margin for stocks and mutual funds, if used, identifies the Initial Margin setting.  The margin setting for stocks and mutual funds are configured on the Trade Amounts tab of the Trade Settings.